- The existing information of the buildings, structure & land is obtained by historical survey.
- The information about the geo technical conditions of the soil supporting the foundations of the structure, is collected. If there is degradation in the lower part of the building, it is advisable to get samples of the soil to verify any contamination by aggressive substances like sulfates, etc.
- The existence of the visible defects and damage after the particular event like earthquake that affect the stability of the structure is also recorded.
- Various in situ and laboratory tests are performed to know the properties of the soil and structures.
- The characteristics of the soil and the water table, as well as presence of substances (chlorides, nitrates etc.) that can attack the building by capillary action are kept in mind. Particular attention is given to check the existence of embankments and to the identification of the drainage system of the structure.
- Section of the structure is taken from Range Finder and analysis is done on software. Keeping in mind factor of safety, various trials are done.
- Designing of rehabilitation work is done after dealing with all the above points and most economical and feasible method is proposed.